Monday, August 4, 2008

A visit back home to Brissie :)

Due to the escalating cost of flights and the fact that all airlines now deem it necessary to charge full fare for a 2.5 year old girl who'd rather sit on my lap anyway; I ventured home to Brisbane this past weekend whilst the dear husband & Miss M stayed in Sydney.

After informing my dear friend of close to 18 years, Zoe; that it was incredibly inconsiderate of her to organise her dream wedding less than 4 weeks after we relocated *LOL*, I was honoured to be invited to the beautiful day. Brisbane really put on the weather, with a beautiful bright sunny day supplied for us as I arrived about 20 minutes late after 9am on Saturday morning.

For the most part, it was a very smooth journey although I'd be lying if I didn't admit how nervous I was to actually be flying Qantas after the past 14 days. My fears were not helped by the fact the tower kept us in a circling pattern for 15 minutes over the Gold Coast as traffic was too busy at Brisbane Airport. At the same time, I did get over my nail biting for long enough to take these photos out the window of the plane whilst we circled.




The wedding itself was absolutely beautiful. I've known Zoe a long time as mentioned above, we first met in Year 8 in high school way back in 1991. The wedding and subsequent reception were elegant, classy and emotional without a hint of gaude or overkill.




I know, the photo is pretty blurry and sadly you can't see her gorgeous wedding gown clearly - which is a pity because she was every bit classic hollywood elegance. I'm not ashamed to admit I was crying openly at several points through the ceremony and again in the reception during the speeches. The love Zoe and Dave share for each other was so evident and there is something about an emotional groom trying to put into words his love for his bride that turns me into a human waterfall.

Anyway, we had a ball - what woman doesn't love an opportunity to go to a 'formal' wedding...hence the below:



Still suffering from this stupid cough and after a late night (ok, so it was 1am when we got back to my friend's place. That IS late for those of us with children and no longer spring-chickens), we didn't crawl out of bed on Sunday until 9:30am. Good old vegemite toast and a hot milo prepared us for the rest of the day - the perfect pick-me-up meal after a big night. I crawled back on my flight in the afternoon and came back home into the loving arms of the husband & the daughter. NOTHING is better than that feeling.

I'm saddened I couldn't visit more people while I was back home - I miss everyone and it's only been a month. If everything goes smoothly, hopefully we'll be able to make it back (all of us) later in the year.

No comments: